With spring in full swing and summer right on its heels its time for yummy Asian inspired salads and crispy chicken pieces! So here we have My take on Salt and Pepper Chicken. It’s a really quick and easy midweek meal to make (my husband Tom LOVES taking the leftovers for lunch!). You only need to cook the chicken and rice the rest is shredding your favourite salad greens and those crunchy carrots.
Salt & Pepper Chicken
- 250gm chicken
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 3 teaspoons seasalt flakes
- 3 teaspoons fresh cracked pepper
- 3 teaspoons Chinese five spice OR Chili flakes (HOT)
- Rice bran oil. To deep fry.
- Cherry tomatoes
- Coriander leaves
- Red onion
Thai dipping sauce
- 60ml fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce OR Chili jam (HOT)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Place the combined flour, salt, Chinese five spice and pepper in a large bowl.
- To make the Thai dipping sauce, whisk the lime juice, sugar, sweet chilli sauce, grated ginger and soy sauce in a small serving bowl.
- To make the Asian salad simply thinly slice or shred all your favourite salad ingredients.
- Give it all a toss so you can see all of the colour.
- Heat the oil to 180°C in a large saucepan over medium-high heat (when the oil is ready, a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 15 seconds). Add one-quarter of the chicken to the flour mixture and toss to coat. Shake off excess. Add to the oil, 1 at a time, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until light golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Repeat, in 3 more batches, with the remaining chicken and flour mixture, reheating the oil between batches.
- Arrange the Asian Salad on a serving platter and top with the chicken. Sprinkle with shallot and chilli, if desired. Serve with boiled rice and the Thai dipping sauce.
Editors Note: this recipe is a modification of the Taste version.
Midweek Meals is a new regular post at Makers Society with our newest contributor, Nikita Klein! Check back here for fresh meals that you can enjoy any night of the week!