If you have always wanted to bake your own bread but didn’t know where to start, this is the recipe for you! You can knead the dough by hand if you don’t have a mixer with dough hooks and you don’t need a bread maker – an oven is just perfect! So minimum outlay for maximum bread!!
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ tablespoons (2 sachets) Active Dry Yeast
- 3½ – 4½ cups plain flour
1. In a bowl, combine 1 ½ cups water, 1 tbs honey, 1½ tsp salt and 2 sachets of yeast. Allow it to sit for 5-10 mins. A foam should form on the top and then you know you’re ready to roll…or knead as it very much were!
2. Add your first 3 cups of flour and mix it together. Either by hand or using a mixer, knead the dough until the mixture is no longer sticky. I mixed mine with dough hooks for the majority of the time (maybe about 5-8 minutes) and added the remainder of the flour a little at a time so I used the full amount of 4½ cups. I kneaded and rolled it once or twice on a floured bench before placing it on an over tray covered with a tea towel.
3. Now put the dough aside for about for 15 minutes – at this point, preheat the oven on 218℃.
4. Remove the tea towel. Your dough should have risen in that time. Cut slits across the top and bake for 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and pop onto a wire rack to cool. Enjoy straight out of the oven with a smidge of butter or wait a little longer and whip up a yummy sandwich!
If you give it a go, let us know how it turns out! Leave a comment below linking to your results or use the hashtag #makerssociety