I’m not sure about you, but this has been a week of chocolate, takeaway, home cooked feasts (thanks mum!) and a lil too much booze (oops, my bad!). So, to make up for that slash get us back to our normal food routine, I thought it was high time I shared with you my most favourite salad (I have 3 favourite salads actually, but this has to be the King of the Salads), and that is our Asian Style Spicy Chicken Salad. It’s also a personal favourite of the boy’s and a dish he rather enjoys cooking. It came from two or three recipes (as all my cooking does) that we merged together then modified over the past year or so since we started making it into the perfect beast it is today. So let’s get to it then!
For the salad you’ll need
- 3-4 Cucumbers sliced and cut into thirds
- 6 Spring onions chopped
- Half a Celery chopped (add more or less depending on its size and stem density!)
- 1 bunch of coriander chopped (we’re such coriander fiends in this house!)
For the sauce/chicken
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup Soy Sauce
- Drop or 3 of Siracha Hot Chilli Sauce AKA Cock Sauce!
- Tbs Honey
- Tsp grated Ginger
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 2 cloves of fresh Garlic, minced
- Tbs White vinegar or white wine
- Tbs Sesame oil
- Chop up all your salad ingredients and pop them in a bowl, tossing them through. Set aside while we prepare our sauce.
- Add the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and combine. Alter the amount to suit your taste. Marinate the chicken in the sauce – if you have time, you could prepare this earlier but it’s not a necessity.
- On a low heat, cook the chicken in wok/fry pan in the sauce until the chicken is cooked through. Keep the heat low and slow in order to keep the chicken moist so it shreds easily. If your marinade boils off, add a extra soy or white wine to keep the chicken juicey. Now brace yourself for some seriously unappealing photos of chicken…bahahah. How you take a nice photo of raw chicken, I’ll never know.
- Once the chicken is done, remove from pan and place onto chopping board and pull it apart with two forks (pic 2 of ugly chicken!). Keep the juices in the pan, you still want them!
- Grab that salad we prepared earlier and dish it up into various bowls.
- Now add your shredded chicken and remaining pan sauce. Top with slices of fresh chilli if you like extra kick like us! EAT!