Happy weekend everyone! Now it’s been a busy few months…actually let’s me honest here and call it a busy year. And for me, it is rare to get a moment to get back in the kitchen and bake something yummy for hell of it. Today was the first time in a little while where I actually didn’t have to get up early to go to the flower markets, rush off to an event, go shopping for this or that or plan a photo shoot. Yep, today is all about me hanging around at home!
I kicked things off with a cheeky baking sesh, just managing to get everything ready in time before Sam (the hubs) had to leave for work. He rarely eats breakfast so it was perfect timing and managed to whip them out of the oven and into a container for him to take on the road.
This recipe is great for those days where the fruit in your fruit bowl is looking a little worse for wear and your like “yeah, nah, I’m not eating that” but then you feel guilty because its fruit and it’s good for you. Instead of letting it go mouldy and attract fruit flies as some awful grown ups may or may not do (ahem, yes, this gal right here!) I whipped up these Apple Banana Cinnamon muffins.
- 2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 125g oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 apple
- 2 bananas
- 2tbs rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 – 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Note: this isn’t the sweetest recipe, add an additional 1/2 cup honey or brown sugar for more sweetness
Time: 20mins prep, 15 mins cooking time
Skill Level: Beginner
1. Preheat your oven to 180C, prepare your muffin trays.
2. Slice up your apple and banana into small pieces. Place the fruit in a bowl and measure out your wet ingredients. Combine thoroughly and set aside.
3. Measure out your dry ingredients, combine thoroughly and make a well in the centre.
4. Pour the wet into the dry and mix it all together, checking to get all the flour.
5. Once it’s mixed, measure it out into prepared muffins trays and pop into the over for 15-20 mins. I found 15 minutes was just right but it depends on how temperamental your oven is. Let them cool a little before enjoying but I will be the first to admit we split one straight of the oven…it was heavenly.
This is a great breakfast on the go or snack to take to work! You could mix it up with some nuts, oats and different fruit! Drop me your suggestions in the comments!
Let us know you go with your Apple Banana Cinnamon Muffins and share your results on Instagram with @themakerssociety #themakerssociety